Sunday, November 8, 2015

Spectrum 22: Contemporary Fantastic Art


Spectrum 22 has just arrived in the mailbox and in the bookstores. Each year, Spectrum gathers together a broad array of imaginative realism—or "contemporary fantastic art"—into a large hardbound book.


The artwork includes fantasy, science fiction, comics, paleo-art, concept art, and sculpture. A professional jury selects the work. There's a healthy balance between digital and hand-made artwork. I'm thrilled that a couple of my dinosaur-science paintings are part of this edition.

The Call for Entries has just been announced for the next one, Spectrum 23. The deadline is January 25, 2016. Even though the competition is challenging, I recommend entering because the visibility is good, the entry costs are reasonable, and it's good company to be in.

The judges for Spectrum 23 will include some of the top imaginative creators in the field, including David Palumbo, Cynthia Sheppard, Kirk Thatcher, Charlie Wen, and Terryl Whitlatch.

EVENT NOTICE. There will be a Spectrum 22 book signing in San Francisco on November 13th with over twenty artists at the Academy of Art University at 79 New Montgomery in San Francisco, California from 7:00 to 9:00 P.M.
------
Spectrum 22: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (Amazon link) is hardbound, 9 x 12 inches, 304 pages.
Spectrum website
Call for Entries info

1 comment:

Krystal said...

I have also a picture in it this year! It makes me so happy...
Somehow, it's a bit thank to you because of your articles about spectrum last year : it mades me realize that we could submit pictures by email... I didn't even try before, because of the high cost of postal service from France to USA. But I took my informations years before and I am glad they are now open to email submissions...

You are right, selection is tough! I sent a bunch of pictures following your advice and I really was confident for a couple of them ; At the end, only one has been selected, and not the one I would have thought...

By the way, I remember you tried sending some by email and some by postal office for the submission in order to test if there was a difference for the jury. Did you notice a difference, finally ?