Monday, November 4, 2013

Frank at the Diner


Sunday at 3:30 in the afternoon is a relatively quiet time at our little diner, so it's a good time to sketch people.


After I ordered my turkey reuben sandwich and leek-and-potato soup yesterday, I noticed a tall man sitting alone at the far end of the counter. He ate quietly and stayed more or less in the same pose while I drew this picture.

I used water-soluble colored pencils, watercolor, and a little white gouache. My soup and sandwich arrived sooner than I expected, so I had to shove the art stuff to one side to make room. I ate with my left hand while I painted with my right.

The server stopped to refill my coffee and check out the sketch. "Frank is one of our regulars," she said. "He's a real nice gentleman."
-----
Read a similar post about another man at the same counter: War Jitters

6 comments:

Tom Hart said...

Did Frank ever seem to notice that you were sketching him? Did he see the sketch?

Great work, as usual. (The sandwich and soup combo sound wonderful too!)

James Gurney said...

Thanks, Admin and Tom.

He never even looked over, and he was pretty far away, about 30 feet or so.

Pat Rock said...

Was this a chunky leek and potato soup or a vichyssoise kind of deal?

Great work as usual.

James Gurney said...

Chunky and yummy!

Adriana Guidi said...

Love your slices of everyday life!

Pyracantha said...

I love stuff like this. I miss seeing more paintings and sketches on this blog now that so much of it is video.